Style and practicality have always been components of Swiss design. In the world of jewelry and timepieces, Swiss creations have often acted as status symbols for the rich and fashion-conscious.
Though Swiss watches have always been regarded as a sumptuous fashion icon, many popular brands are trying their hand at the modern revolution, and getting involved with time-pieces from a more tech-heavy perspective. Since smartwatches have become more than just gadgets to many people - and indeed represent fashion statements to the masses - it only makes sense that Swiss smartwatches would be appeasing those in search of a functional, yet attractive device. If you're looking for something a little classier than your average Apple or Samsung - you've come to the right place.
Here, we're going to look at five of the biggest contenders for Swiss smartwatch fame in 2017.
Tissot Smart Touch
The latest "big-brand" name in Swiss Smartwatch design, Tissot recently introduced the "Smart Touch". This watch doesn't connect to Android Wear - so struggles to compete with some other options on the market, but it's stunning appearance and range of features still make it a fierce competitor in the smartwatch industry.
Designed for active and fashion-friendly people, the Smart Touch features:
• GPS tracking which points the hands of the watch towards the direction you need to go to.
• A year-long battery life supplemented by a built-in solar panel.
• Humidity and air quality tracking in a range of additional accessories.
For those who want the convenience of a smartwatch combined with the style of Swiss design - the Tissot Smart Touch is the perfect way to spruce up your average outfit.
Alpina Horological Smartwatch
When it comes to classy smart analogue watches, the latest Alpina Swiss Horological Smartwatch takes style to the next level. Designed to offer an understated, yet luxurious look, the Alpina combines brushed stainless steel with a navy-blue dial and sumptuous leather strap.
The features of the Alpina Horological Smartwatch are similar to the previous offerings by the brand, for instance, the latest model can:
• Track calories burned.
• Keep an eye on the steps you take, and the total distance covered.
• Customize active alerts to remind you when to move.
• Track your sleeping patterns to show you how much time you spend in light, and deep sleep.
• Provide up to 2 years of battery life.
The Alpina Horological watch even features a "Dynamic Coach" app which can provide suggestions and tips based on your health goals.
Frederique Constant Horological
If luxury is your goal, then you'll love the Frederique Constant Horological smartwatch - designed to offer an elegant look with a waterproof design, it's practical and classy at the same time. The watch features a "second time zone" mode, alongside various other software tweaks, and you can even choose a rose gold-plated case for that extra touch of beauty.
This stylish Swiss piece offers:
• Water resistance up to 5ATM (though we recommend avoiding pools if you want to maintain the beautiful blue leather strap)
• Activity tracking features such as steps, calories, and distances
• Up to two years of battery life
Although the Frederique Constant doesn't come with GPS built in, the sensors and accelerometer can help you track your fitness just as easily.
Mondaine Helvetica 1
When it comes to truly exceptional design, it's hard to overlook the beauty of Mondaine watches. The Mondaine Helvetica smartwatch has officially licensed the Helvetica font for that extra touch of luxury. At the bottom of the watch face, you'll find a secondary dial that allows you to see your fitness progress towards various goals.
With this beautiful Swiss smart watch, you can:
• Track how much time you spend in deep and light sleep (as well as how many times you wake up during the night)
• Smart alarms to wake you up in time for work
• Activity tracking apps to help you keep track of calories, steps and distances
• Up to two years of battery life
Diagono Magnesium Smartwatch
Imagine being able to combine impeccable style with absolute safety. The Diagono Magnesium smartwatch could offer you exactly that - by providing military-level security for storing your sensitive data. The Diagono Magnesium is actually being advertised as the "Vault on the wrist" smartwatch. With a sleek steel case and polymer middle case - the Diagono has a classic Swiss appeal.
However, besides the good looks, this smartwatch also offers a range of great features, including:
• High resistance to scratches
• A 42-hour power reserve
• A Cryptographic chip that embeds information like credit and loyalty cards, as well as notes and passwords under a specific user ID
Perhaps the most impressive aspect of the Diagono watch is it's security features, which include a decryption key that can only be opened near a field communication pairing with its specific smartphone app.